Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Tove Jansson, Illus

A friend was celebrating about finding a Moomin book, and I didn't know what that was, and got so schooled on Tove Jansson that when I found out she illustrated Alice, I went on a quest to find a copy. I love that she chose to illustrate moments from the text that no one else had drawn before (that I've seen anyway), like Alice dreaming that she's walking hand in hand with her cat Dinah, asking her if she has ever eaten a bat. Contrasting her Mad Hatter and March Hare with Steadman's (earlier) and Moser's (coming) is interesting. Hers are vaguely disreputable, but not too. Steadman's are in some Hunter S. Thompson-esque trip, and Moser's are menacing like the bad guys in a Neil Gaiman novel.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland; Tove Jansson, Illus Tate Publishing 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment